Prof Richard Fleming
Phone: +61 02 4221 3422
Personal Profile Linkhttp://smah.uow.edu.au/nursing/contacts/UOW130342.html
QualificationsB.Tech.(Hons), Dip.Clin.Psy, PhD
DCRC role / affiliationDCRC-ABC, Research Collaborator
Other roles / affiliationsDirector, NSW/ACT Dementia Training Study Centre, Faculty of Health Services and Behavioural Sciences, University of Wollongong
Richard Fleming is a Clinical Psychologist who has worked with the elderly for more than twenty five years. While occupying the position of Regional Coordinator of Mental Health Services in the S.E. Region of N.S.W. he played a major role in the development of the CADE units (Units for the Confused and Disturbed Elderly) for the NSW Department of Health. Nine of these were built to replace services that used to be provided by psychiatric hospitals.
In 1995 he joined the Hammond Care Group and established the Dementia Services Development Centre (DSDC). The DSDC is currently providing training in the essentials of care for people with dementia to 9,000 aged care services staff and leading an Encouraging Best Practice in Residential Aged Care project on the management of behaviours of concern. He has published books and papers on environmental design, reminiscence therapy, reality orientation, depression and spirituality in aged care services, assessment of the elderly and service evaluation.
Richard is the principal author of a major book of care plans for staff caring for people with dementia and a manual written to assist residential care staff to 'Challenge Depression'. Richard is currently a Chief Investigator on 2 NHMRC funded projects dealing with environmental design and person centred care (Professor Lynn Chenoweth project leader) and humour in residential aged care (Professor Henry Brodaty project leader) and, through his involvement in the Dementia Collaborative Research Centres based in UNSW and QUT, is continuing his research in environmental design, assistive technology and development of assessment tools.
He was recently appointed Clinical Associate Professor in the Faculty of Health Services and Behavioural Sciences in the University of Wollongong. Richard has a keen insterest in Knowledge Translation.
- Sydney Multisite Intervention of LaughterBosses and ElderClowns (SMILE): a randomised controlled trial of humour therapy in residential care
- Investigation of the use of energy supplements for people with dementia in Residential Aged Care Facilities
- Review of the role of technology and environmental design in delivering better care outcomes for people with dementia
- Environmental design for people with dementia: charting the gap between theory and practice in the design of new residential facilities
- Defining the desirable characteristics of physical environments for the delivery of support and care to people in the final stages of dementia
- The use of environmental assessment tools for the evaluation of Australian residential facilities for people with dementia
- Dementia Services Framework Competency Standards Project
- Evaluating residential facilities for people in the later stages of dementia
- Knowledge Translation in Environmental Design of Residential Aged Care Facilities for people with dementia
- Evaluation of the reliability of a tool for the assessment of the enabling/disabling features of public buildings and public spaces used by people with dementia
- What is a good day out? Working towards optimal day centre respite care and ways to measure it.